It is an anti-anxiety medication and it belongs to a group of typical drugs known as Benzodiazepine. There are different trade names for this drug which include Ativan, Temesta, and Tavor. This is a prescription only drug and it has the fastest onset of action. The pill would start to work within 5 minutes of time. It would work in the body for a period of twelve to twenty-four hours. This is the reason why people buy discount Ativan as this medicine is found cheaper and effective in treating the issues.
How does Ativan work?
The pills would work in the brain. When a single pill is taken, it would first be absorbed in the bloodstream. The active ingredient Lorazepam would be the one which is responsible for this mechanism. The imbalance in the natural chemicals is the reason why people are experiencing anxiousness in their body. So, what this drug does is that, it would convert all these imbalanced natural chemicals to the balanced one. Thus it reduces the excessive anxiousness in a person.
What are the dosage strengths of Ativan?
The medication is available in different dosage strengths in the market. They are 0.5mg, 1mg and 2mg. Initial dosage strengths given for anxiety disorder patients would be 2mg to 3mg at divided doses in a day. If a person experiences insomnia caused due to anxiety then they might be instructed to take 3mg to 4mg dose twice or thrice in a day.
How to take Ativan pills?
You have to take the dosage strength that is prescribed for you. Check the prescription label before starting the therapy and you have to follow that. Ativan has to be taken only for a period of two to three weeks. This is a habit forming medication hence taking it in higher dosage strengths or administering the pills for a longer period of time is not advisable.
Abruptly stopping the medication would trigger withdrawal symptoms which also includes seizures. To avoid such situations it is a must to stop the treatment slowly and steadily with the help of a doctor. During the treatment, keep track on the number of pills that you are taking. When you find that it is needed for you to fill the prescription very soon then inform the doctor about it.
Precautions to be followed while on the treatment
- You are not supposed to take Ativan if you are allergic to the active ingredient or other similar drugs in the group.
- People with narrow-angle glaucoma or Myasthenia gravis should not take this anti-anxiety medication.
- Doctor should be informed about the health conditions that you are suffering like depression, seizures, epilepsy, liver problem, kidney disorder, breathing issues or asthma, open angle glaucoma, or heart issue.
- Tell the healthcare professional if you have a history of drug or substance abuse.
- You are not supposed to consume Ativan if you are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby. There are chances that the traces of medication might pass on to the fetus or baby through the mother.
- Since this drug is not approved for anyone below 18 years of age, do not take the pills if you are not above the eligible age.
Side effects can happen while taking this anti-anxiety medication. Some of them are mentioned below.
Get medical help immediately if you have:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Severe drowsiness
- Unusual change in the behavior
- Sleep issues
- Restlessness or excitement
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Change in vision
- Stomach pain
- Drooping eyelids
- Muscle weakness
Common symptoms while taking Ativan are:
- Slurred speech
- Lack of balance
- Memory issues
- Feeling of unsteadiness
- No coordination in the body
If you are suffering from side effects for a longer period of time then it is a must to get help from a physician without any delay. But, most of the symptoms would fade away very soon from the body.
Drug interactions with Ativan
When other medications are taken with Ativan there are chances for the drug interactions to happen. If this occurs then a person might feel drowsy, sleepy or sometimes might also it could lead to fatality.
Inform your doctor if you are taking medications like:
- aminophylline or theophylline
- Medications that are used to treat anxiety disorder
- barbiturate like phenobarbital
- seizure drugs
- narcotic pain medications
- cold or allergy medication that contains antihistamine
Never forget to tell all the pills that you are taking whether it is a prescription or non-prescription medication or herbal supplements. When there is chance for any interaction then a doctor would change the time or the way the pills are taken.
How to store the medication properly?
These pills should not be shared with anyone even if they have excessive anxiousness. The drug has to be placed in its blister pack in a safe and secure place which is not easily accessible by other people including pets and children. Do not keep it in a place which has excessive heat, moisture and light. It is better to store the pills at room temperature.