Klonopin is one of the approved anti anxiety medication used for treating seizures in adults and children called as seizure medicine. It is also prescribed for panic disorder. Klonopin for anxiety is available in brand and generic form. It is generic form is Clonazepam works same as brand version.
Klonopin how it works?
Klonopin works by improving the chemicals GABA (gamma amniobutyric acid) present in the brain that calms your brain and nerves by stabilizing your mood. Clonazepam classified under the class of medicines benzodiazepine is used to treat seizure disorder and panic attack conditions in adults and children.
What are the available Klonopin dosages?
This anxiety medication is available as a dosage form of tablet. Klonopin dosage strength includes 0.125 mg, 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg and 2 mg. For adults suffering for seizure disorder prescribed initial dose is 1.5 mg per day taken 2 or 3 times daily. Depending on your health condition the dosage may be increased from 0.5 mg to 1mg depending upon the disorder.A Klonopin high dose of 20 mg per day is given to the seizure patient.
For Adults suffering from a panic disorder, initial dose given is 0.25 mg taken 2 times per day. The maximum Klonopin dose is 4 mg / day. The prescribed Klonopin tablet should be taken with water, without breaking or crushing the tablet it should be taken as instructed by the physician.
Safety measures to be followed before taking Klonopin:
It is suggested to avoid taking this medication during pregnancy or feeding time. As, it can affect both the mother and the new born.
- Clonazepam can increase the effect of alcohol double. Do not consume alcohol while taking it.
- You should not take Klonopin if you suffer from health conditions such as narrow-angle glaucoma and severe liver disease
- Avoid taking Clonazepam if you have an allergic reaction to this medicine and other benzodiazepine class of drugs such as Xanax, Valium, Ativan or Chlordiazepoxide and also the ingredients present in it.
- It is the one of the habit-forming medication and there is a high chance of misuse it should be taken only when it is prescribed to you and not orally.
- Get a proper advice from health care professionals before starting the treatment and finishing the medicine. Stopping it suddenly without the knowledge of medical physician is not recommended.
- For children below 18 years, Klonopin is not recommended to take to treat panic disorder
- Always store this medicine away from children.
What are the side effects of Klonopin?
The normal Klonopin side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, headache etc. The other side effects include:
- Pain in body
- Fever, coughs and chills in body
- Feeling an unusual tiredness or weakness in your body
- Difficult in breathing
- Lack of appetite
- Signs of infection
- Allergies and rashes on your skin
- Sore or dryness in throat
- Muscles weakness and unsteady walk
- Lower back pain and joint pains
- Muscle aches and pains
- Difficult in urination
Adverse side effects are also possible with Klonopin. But these effects should be immediately treated and taken care by doctors. These effects include:
- Mental illness (such as depression can lead to suicidal thoughts, sudden mood or behavior changes to violently, agitated, irritable, hurting oneself etc.
- Poor coordination, Interest loss is found in every activities that you do, feeling sad and worried always, irritability etc.
Long term use of Klonopin will also provide a effect on your body. These side effects are not common to everyone, they vary with several factors.
Klonopin drug interaction:
As drug interaction can increase your risk of side effects and in some cases adverse side effects. It is important know the list of drugs that interact with Klonopin. This medication may interact with few products made up of Orlistat and Sodium Oxybate. Do not take drugs that are formed with these products.
Check with your doctors list of drugs that interact with Klonopin. Inform your medication that you are previously taking to your physician.
How Klonopin is stored?
The medicine should be placed away from children as they are habit-forming drugs that can cause an addiction. It is generally stored in room temperature.