Valium is classified under benzodiazepine class of drugs. It is used to treat increased anxiety in people who are suffering in their daily routine activities and also this medication is used to cure the alcohol symptoms. It is available in multiple brand and generic versions to customers. Valium generic name is diazepam.
How Valium works?
Valium pills act as central nervous system depressant. This drug affects the (GABA) gamma-aminobutyric acid the chemicals present in the brain, that prevents or stops the abnormal activities of the brain. As, a result it calms down the brain and nerves. Stabilize your mood to the relaxed state.
Valium Dosage for Anxiety and Alcohol withdrawal symptoms:
Valium tablet dose comes in the strength of 2 mg, 5mg and 10 mg in the form of the bottle. It is shaped as round and flat faced scored tablets.Valium dosage given to an individual varies depending upon the level of your health condition, age, gender, how the medicine reacts to the treatment cause of the illness and other factors.
Normal dose prescribed to manage your anxiety and get relief from it is 2 mg – 10 mg given 2 to 4 times per day which depends the adult health condition. For alcohol withdrawal symptoms, it is given 10 mg 3 or 4 times per day and gradually it is decreased. For children, 1 mg to 2.5 mg is given initially taken 3 – 4 times. Diazepam dosage is also prescribed by doctors to treat other health conditions and mental illness that is not mentioned above.
This a prescription only anxiety drug should be taken only with a valid health scripts. Diazepam should be taken only when it is prescribed to take. A medicine taken orally or long term use of Valium than the duration of treatment will lead to a side effect. In a few cases, adverse side effects occur that threatens your life.
What are the safety and precautionary method before taking Valium?
- As grapes, and its products increase the high possibility of side effects for patients. It is better to avoid while taking Valium
- As this medication can cause a drowsiness or dizziness it is recommended for patients to avoid consuming alcoholic beverages.
- People should not take this medicine when they are allergic to it and ingredients present in it and if you suffer from health conditions such as acute narrow-angle glaucoma, a breath problem, sleep apnea, liver disease, weakness in muscle etc.
- Usage of Valium during pregnancy is not advisable as it can affect the unborn baby.
- Inform your health professionals about the list of medical products that you are taking before occurring the treatment with Valium.
- Tell about your health issues that you have undergone it already or undergoing it presently. I.e you have undergone any surgery, injuries etc.
What are the side effects of Valium?
Side effects are common the most medicines. These effects are not same with all patients, they vary with people depending the treatment duration prescribed for them, dosage strength they are taking and various other criteria. The common Valium side effects includes:
- Dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness and change of vision
- You can experience Shakiness and an unsteady walk
- People commonly experience the problem with muscle control or coordination.
Adverse effect of Valium includes:
- Trouble in breathing
- Mental illness such as change in consciousness
- Sudden mood changes to confusion and depression in mind, agitation, hallucination and restlessness
- If you find any serious allergic reaction, including rashes, itching and swelling found on your face.
Certain effects and symptoms found should immediately seek a medical help from your doctors. Other side effects found with patient taking it are:
- Pain in stomach or abdominal
- Change in vision or blurred vision
- Sore throat
- Urine infection
- Irregular or change in heartbeat
- Fever, headache, feeling restless
- Skin allergies such as: rashes, pale skin and itching
- Sweating and feeling tiredness or weakness in body
- Nausea, vomiting as blood
- Trouble concentrating, sleeping and speaking and other regular activities
Valium drug interaction
Before undergoing the treatment with Valium, inform your health practitioner about the list of drugs you are taking to avoid the interaction of drugs. Some of the chemical product that interacts with it are clozapine, fluvoxamine, orlistat, sodium oxybate.
Check for the list of drugs and products that interacts with drugs. As interaction may cause effects to a patient in a few cases it may cause adverse side effects.
How Valium drug is stored?
Valium is stored at a room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat. The medication is stored away from children. After the treatment period, extra pills should be properly disposed.